the blessed hope


A long time ago in England, there was a famous learned scholar
by the name of John Selden. He had a powerful mind and a voracious
appetite for books. He read all the books that existed in his time, and
even boasted that he had a great library of 8,000 volumes on many
subjects. And he was gifted with the ability to remember most of
what he had read. But when he was dying this is what he said to
someone: “I have surveyed most of the learning that is among the
sons of men, and my study is filled with books and manuscripts on
various subjects. But at present I cannot recollect any passage out of
all my books and papers on which I can rest my soul except this from
the sacred Scriptures: The grace of God that bringeth salvation hath
appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and
worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously and godly, in this
present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the 
gloriousappearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: 
Who gave himself for us . . . .” (Tit 2:11-14).